• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #81 Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostVFA22Bonefish, on 14 September 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

I am looking to make a aluminum P-51 and have no idea what transparent colors are other than in Photoshop, reducing the opacity of a color. Is this the same thing as what you refer to as "transparent colors"? Thanks, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is exactly what I mean, reducing the opacity so you can see what is under the color. If you want to have a high polished color you would set the opacity around 70-80 for a duller, combat area metal finish go with a number around 45-60, going much below 45 will give you a flat finish.

Here are 3 examples taken from teh same plane with all color information removed.

First is with the default spm.dds file
second is using black with opacity set at 70
Spoiler                     

third is using white in place of black with opacity set the same, 70
Spoiler                     

For the P-51D you will probably want to use black with the opacity set mid-range, as I found the Mustangs to have a very shiny finish. I've not done anything with the P-51D since closed beta though so I'm going on what I found in clsoed beta and with the P-51A in open beta.

I used a different method for but I found that the method I outlined above works better.
Spoiler                     

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

VFA22Bonefish #82 Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
Thank you very much!  I am going to play around now and see if I can get similar results.

losttwo #83 Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
if no one else can see my Partridge Family Bus skin then why bother....seriously, If I ma going to re-skin my plan and customize it I would want everyone to see it. No fun if I am the only one flying a FW-57 Partridge Family Bus.

hawkeyededic #84 Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postlosttwo, on 14 September 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

if no one else can see my Partridge Family Bus skin then why bother....seriously, If I ma going to re-skin my plan and customize it I would want everyone to see it. No fun if I am the only one flying a FW-57 Partridge Family Bus.

to me painting it then sharing with others is fun, especially when I get comments from others using the textures I've done and put up on SkyDrive.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

VFA22Bonefish #85 Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I agree..  Maybe the developers will allow it?  I mean, it is possible in other games.

losttwo #86 Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
delete my last comment....just found a contest for skinning my plane.......I hate being lost some times

Zapperguy #87 Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Does it look like my Partridge Family LBSH?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Condoras #88 Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
youare super thanks

Condoras #89 Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
perfect work  nice job. i try to do it i hope all is ok

XxpoztxX #90 Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Master Sergeant

• 6 battles
Hmm I seem to have trouble with this. I take the file out of the pkg with Winrar, Load it up in PS6, then I save the file and overwrite the original .dds with the new one which i place with winrar back in the pkg. and when i open wowp and look at the plane (P-51A) in the hanger I see no change. in fact the only change I noticed was now the default color was white instead of the american blue color that most of the planes are. IDK what I'm doing wrong and could use any kind of input

ang000 #91 Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I can't quite open the DDS file......tried photoshop...but the plugin doesn't work.... :sad:
But very good post +1 :medal:  :great:

losttwo #92 Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I don't really want to skin my planes only my kills...oh wait this isn't the hunting forum...nevermind

SkyWolf__WM #93 Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10492 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Postang000, on 15 October 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I can't quite open the DDS file......tried photoshop...but the plugin doesn't work.... :sad:
But very good post +1 :medal:  :great:

Gimp with the .dds plugin will open them... but I can't get it to save in the correct .dds format.... so I save as a .jpg and use "Easy to Convert" .jpg to .dds to fix that. It's free... as is gimp.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

lichimartin #94 Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
  • [TTK] TTK
Is there any way to export the airplane model too???? It will be easier for me to paint inside The Foundry Mari 2.0, then convert the skin with Photoshop in .dds files and package. Is this Posible at all????

Excaliburr #95 Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
Wait so let me get this straight, i can edit any of my planes with some cool personal design?

Wisened #96 Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DHO] DHO
I did this once for World of Tanks similar contest for the Fourth of July.  Great fun, very time consuming if you do a good job but it is awesome to start a round with the tank (or plane in this case) with a skin that you created.  It is even cooler when you see another same type tank/plane in your game...because your PC is the resource for their skin.  They would not see your cool work but on your screen any of the same type plane would have your skin on them too!  (Even if you are not on that particular vehicle the mod/map for that vehicles skin in still in the active folder so you would still see it in your round).  When this happened to me the first time in WoT I was surprised and literally said, "Hey, how did they get my skin?!?" I then realized it was because it was pulled from my game folder to be displayed on my PC only, lol.  It is still a rush and, if you have the time, I would recommend giving it a shot!

See you on the other side!

- Wise

SkyWolf__WM #97 Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10492 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Posthawkeyededic, on 14 September 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

to me painting it then sharing with others is fun, especially when I get comments from others using the textures I've done and put up on SkyDrive.

And it's still more fun to play with hawkeyededic's P40 skin even if only you and a few others use it. It just "feels" better to have a sharkmouth that doesn't look absurd.

SkyWolf__WM #98 Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10492 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Postlichimartin, on 15 October 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Is there any way to export the airplane model too???? It will be easier for me to paint inside The Foundry Mari 2.0, then convert the skin with Photoshop in .dds files and package. Is this Posible at all????

Yes... but no.

And yes.. you can skin your own personal design.

Check out haweyededic's skydrive... or my less "stellar" drive at

https://skydrive.liv...995ecb81d94dc74

misieq1979 #99 Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
IS there any way to remove or edit the national insignia? I'm zombifying my I-17 and i'd like to get rid of the red stars.

Elkay #100 Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

Old Man

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 0 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Its not technically feasible to force/allow custom skins onto everyone else - the skins themselves are not loaded as individual files but rather they are read from the package they exist within...to make it so other pilots can "see" your custom skins...the entire, customized package would have to get uploaded to the server then downloaded onto everyone flying in the current battle...some of those packages are well over one gig in size - you wanna talk about slow load times, imagine having to download 1-3 gigs EVERY battle?

For the sake of argument, lets assume the above is possible (which would be mind-numbingly silly.) What happens when two or more pilots have custom skins for the same plane and same camo?  ALL planes with similar body/engines/guns using the same camo appear the same to all players...making the game so it loads a separate skin for each individual plane would send the memory requirements so over the top as to make it impossible to achieve.

Bottom line is - the best (current) solution is to make the skins public, allow players to download or not download at their discretion and allow them to decide BEFORE the game launches which they want to use and which they do not.

Just my two cents.

-LK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users