• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

SkyWolf__WM #101 Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10444 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Postmisieq1979, on 21 October 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

IS there any way to remove or edit the national insignia? I'm zombifying my I-17 and i'd like to get rid of the red stars.

Yes. You find them in the airplanes_common.pkg file.

Kenworth can get you started.

https://skydrive.liv...3FE38419B26!108
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

XxpoztxX #102 Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Master Sergeant

• 6 battles
Ok so now I've got skinning down packed but I'd like to mod something else. I notice when your plane is destroyed the pilot in the cockpit simply disappears while the plane burns. This bothers me so I'd like to add some blood splats on the canopy when the animation loads for the destroyed plane. It would cover the sight of the cockpit and add a cool effect while keeping me from seeing that my pilot vanished. So does anyone know where i need to look to be able to edit the canopy? Any info at all would help

roopnarined #103 Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [PEGGY] PEGGY

View PostXxpoztxX, on 31 October 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Ok so now I've got skinning down packed but I'd like to mod something else. I notice when your plane is destroyed the pilot in the cockpit simply disappears while the plane burns. This bothers me so I'd like to add some blood splats on the canopy when the animation loads for the destroyed plane. It would cover the sight of the cockpit and add a cool effect while keeping me from seeing that my pilot vanished. So does anyone know where i need to look to be able to edit the canopy? Any info at all would help

get the respective crash.dds from the original res folder... (make note of the folder structure to the file within the zip) and recreate it in res_mods, usually something like

\res_mods\vehicles\airplanes\japan\JP04_A6M

peek inside the paths.xml, and make sure you activate res_mods.... should look like this

<root>
  <Paths>
    <Path>res_mods/</Path>
    <Path>res/packages/shared_content.pkg</Path>
    <Path>res/packages/misc.pkg</Path>
    <Path>res</Path>
    <Path>res_bw</Path>
  </Paths>
</root>

experiment with the skin all you want without messing up your game installation..... if it does not work the way you want, delete and start again, or just keep editing until you are happy.....

good luck

roopnarined (WoT / WoWP)

SkyWolf__WM #104 Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10444 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostElkay, on 28 October 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Its not technically feasible to force/allow custom skins onto everyone else - the skins themselves are not loaded as individual files but rather they are read from the package they exist within...to make it so other pilots can "see" your custom skins...the entire, customized package would have to get uploaded to the server then downloaded onto everyone flying in the current battle...some of those packages are well over one gig in size - you wanna talk about slow load times, imagine having to download 1-3 gigs EVERY battle?

For the sake of argument, lets assume the above is possible (which would be mind-numbingly silly.) What happens when two or more pilots have custom skins for the same plane and same camo?  ALL planes with similar body/engines/guns using the same camo appear the same to all players...making the game so it loads a separate skin for each individual plane would send the memory requirements so over the top as to make it impossible to achieve.

Bottom line is - the best (current) solution is to make the skins public, allow players to download or not download at their discretion and allow them to decide BEFORE the game launches which they want to use and which they do not.

Just my two cents.

-LK

They should just pick a few to include. Like hawkeyedic's P-40 Skin.
It's a must have and should be in the game. Bribe him with Gold or swag or something.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Tanz #105 Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Awesome information...Thanks :honoring:

__BLACK_PRINCE__ #106 Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 41 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
cool

CrazyBricker #107 Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

EDIT: I thought I had new info and didn't read all the posts before I found out about the paths.xml file.

Edited by CrazyBricker, 13 February 2014 - 12:58 AM.

Zapperguy #108 Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Is there a way to paint the glass in the windows of the planes? I've tried messing with the various dds files that effect dings, rivets, gloss etc. I can't find a way to paint the glass. Any thoughts from you skinning pros?

:honoring:

hawkeyededic #109 Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Not that I have seen, but that does not mean that it can not be done I just have no idea where it would be hidden at if it was possible. I have seen what look like model files for glass but no textures.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Zapperguy #110 Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

I found some items labelled "glass" here: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res\packages\shared_content.pkg\vehicles\airplanes\common\textures

The problem is that I think if I mess with those files, it will alter the glass in multiple/all planes. I just wanted to turn a window into an eye, but it's not looking like that's possible at this stage.

Thanks for your reply.

:honoring:

AF_ACE #111 Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
~
For help, I changed planes after painting is not to display the aircraft. What should I do?

broslicer #112 Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 149 battles
so I got this process to work for me and been painting planes, I was wondering though where is the BF 110 C-6 when I go to: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res\packages\vehicles_airplane_4.pkg\vehicles\airplanes\german - ZIP archive, unpacked size 347,500,997 bytes the planes that pop up are BF 110B, BF109C AR197, and HE 112. I thought it was the 109C and maybe it was a typo... but no change. (all of the other lines and planes seem to be in the correct spot)

hawkeyededic #113 Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postbroslicer, on 17 July 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

so I got this process to work for me and been painting planes, I was wondering though where is the BF 110 C-6 when I go to: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res\packages\vehicles_airplane_4.pkg\vehicles\airplanes\german - ZIP archive, unpacked size 347,500,997 bytes the planes that pop up are BF 110B, BF109C AR197, and HE 112. I thought it was the 109C and maybe it was a typo... but no change. (all of the other lines and planes seem to be in the correct spot)

The Bf.110C shares textures with the 110B, which is why you can't find it. So if you want to repaint the 110C-6 you will also be repainting the 110B at the same time.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

broslicer #114 Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 149 battles

View Posthawkeyededic, on 18 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

The Bf.110C shares textures with the 110B, which is why you can't find it. So if you want to repaint the 110C-6 you will also be repainting the 110B at the same time.

oh okay thanks 

Capt_Pyro #115 Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2 battles

View PostSdKfz_181, on 14 April 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

Ok, this'll be my big all encompassing guide to skinning. To help make it easier to read I'll just go through the process, stopping to explain bits as I go along. Please note: Do read the entire thing, there's some important notes at the end. Anyway, on with the show.

Necessary Software
First off , you'll need some sort of photo editing software that is capable of working with .dds files. The majority of editing software doesn't come WITH the capability of editing .dds files, and for those you will need plugins. Some that come to mind are Gimp, Paint.net and Photoshop, Gimp and Paint.net being freeware and Photoshop costing, well... a lot. Here are a few links to guide you to the proper software:

Gimp (the actual program): http://www.gimp.org/
Gimp (the .dds plugin): http://registry.gimp.org/node/70
Photoshop (the .dds plugin): https://developer.nv...adobe-photoshop
Paint.net (the actual program): http://www.getpaint.net/ (Direct .dds support, does not require plugins)

Obviously I can't link you to the actual program Photoshop, as that's what we call pirating, and that is bad. There may be a trial version however.

You will also need a program to extract the .dds files from the .pkg files that the game uses, as well as repackage your modified .dds files back into the .pkg files. The only ones that come to mind for me are 7zip and Winrar, 7zip being open source software and Winrar being a payed for program, but having a trial time period that you could use. Here's link for those as well:

7zip: http://www.7-zip.org/
Winrar: http://www.win-rar.c...nload.html?&L=0

For the rest of this guide everything you see will be done with Photoshop and Winrar, as that's what I use, though I'd imagine the other programs work pretty similar. Installing everything should be pretty simple so I'm not going to go through that process.

Locating the .dds Files
First off, after you've got your necessary software installed (if you didn't already have it), your going to need to locate the .dds files for the plane you want to skin. For this guide I'll be using the Bf 109 G, since it's the only plane I've FULLY skinned so far.

Navigate to where the .pkg files are located (mine are a little different since I didn't install in the default location, but you'll get the idea) and copy it to, for example, your desktop.

Next, change the file extension from .pkg to .zip, and select yes when it gives you the warning about changing file extensions. (A note on this: Alex mentioned that you do not have to change the file extension, but that you can simply extract the files using whatever extraction software your using.)

Now, using the extraction software we've got we simply extract the files. I always use the "extract to (insert file destination here)" method, as I find it's the easiest, and I can always move the folder/files around afterwards.

Now we've got all those folders with all those .dds files. (Mind you I've got some extra .psd files from previously working on skins.)

Editing the .dds Files
Let's go ahead and open the GR11_BF109G_hangar file (default skin file). You can do that by opening it through your photo editing software or, since we installed the .dds plugins, simply double click the file. (You may have to right click the file, select properties, and make whatever program your using the default for this to work, and if you do if makes life much easier.)

Once the program starts up and the file opens you'll get a little box like this. Make sure you open the file at the default sizes.

Now you've got your skin open in your photo editing software and your free do play with it as much as you want, just make sure you don't rotate it, or it will look all sorts of weird in game because nothing will match up right. Then when your done playing around with it, simply save it over the currently existing .dds file.

When you go to save it you'll get yet another dialogue box like this. Make sure you've got everything set like I do in this picture. (It's all default so I'd imagine Gimp users can just leave everything defaulted.)

Repackaging the .dds Files
Now we go ahead and open our extracting/packaging software, locate, and open the games .pkg archive.

When your locating the .pkg archives within your extracting/packaging software you'll have to make sure it's looking for all file types, as the .pkg files may not show up otherwise. Once you do that you'll be able to see the .pkg file.

Now, still within the extraction/packaging software, we navigate to where the .dds file is located.

Now you'll click and drag the .dds file you modified pretty much anywhere in the folder you have open with your extraction/packaging software, with the exception of into one of those top three folders.

Now you'll get one last dialogue box. Make sure you have everything set like I do. (Aka: The default way.)

That's it, now your ready to go fly your pretty new plane!

Final Notes (Notes with dates have been added at a later time, just putting the dates there to make new ones easier to find.)
Please note that you should not have WoWP open while doing all this. Aside from the demand on your computer, you won't be able to repackage your .dds files if it's open. It should also be noted that you need to back up your original .pkg files in case you mess anything up.

I have heard that some planes are not skinnable. I however have not yet run into this problem, though I have not skinned every plane in the game, so you may come across one that you can't. I have also run into problems with blanking out the country insignia, kill markers, unit numbers, and the other common files. The last time I tried messing with them I broke something or other and had to resort to reinstalling to fix the issue. (My fault for not backing anything up.)

4/15/2013
It does not SEEM that changing the image size of the .dds file affects the skin, at least not increasing it, as long as you go in multiples rather than decimals. For example, I was able to 4x the size of the P-51A skin with no problem, albiet a huge file size. Another note on that as well, keep in mind if you do increase the size of the image, the greatly increases the size of the file, therefore decreasing game performance. Testing it on the 51A, when I 4x'ed the image, the file size shot up to roughly 30mb, though it does look better. Just something to keep in mind.

I take no responsibility for broken games. Modding any game is a risk, but if you do it properly everything should be fine.

Have any questions? Feel free to ask. Also, if there is any way I can improve this guide, please do let me know, as this is an ongoing project of mine.

Lastly, a big thanks goes out to DrSinister for helping me figure out how to get skins to work in WoWP.

Nice guide. Can all players see my skin during battle?

Aurabird #116 Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3 battles

View PostOMG_Noob, on 31 August 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

Nice guide. Can all players see my skin during battle?

Unless they have the same skin installed as you, no

Gingercake #117 Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:03 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

Bummer that no one else can see it! They should change that... I'd be way more attached to a plane if I could personalize it!

-Gingercake

buddha222 #118 Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 514 battles
Will have to try this out. Thanks.

Alpha Tester - WoWp                         Alpha Tester - WoT: Generals                Alpha Tester  - WoWs           

Beta Tester - Total War: Arena     -    World of Tanks                      

CaptCeele #119 Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:45 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [DVLS] DVLS

why is it that I don't find the textures of the A6M1 Zero? is it because i have the low resolution version? is the plane stored in another folder?

I also noticed planes are arranged by generations.... can someone help? A6M1 is my very favourite

Claudio67 #120 Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 433 battles

View PostCaptCeele, on 16 April 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

why is it that I don't find the textures of the A6M1 Zero? is it because i have the low resolution version? is the plane stored in another folder?

I also noticed planes are arranged by generations.... can someone help? A6M1 is my very favourite

Look at the vehicles_airplane_4.pkg file in C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\res\packages

Inside of it there's a folder structure, in vehicles\airplanes\japan\JP04_A6M you'll find it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users