Crash Course on New Axes Graphs for Joysticks.

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

DrSinister #1 Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4758 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I had posted this in another thread and decided it is probably better used as its own thread.

Here is a crash course of using the new axes graphs to adjust for sensitivity/precision and getting the joystick properly setup for the game.

Note: I will be showing how to adjust the axes via the yaw axis because this is the only axes I have still linear.

Basic Overview of the Joystick Settings

First thing you need to press ESC, click settings and change the control scheme to Joystick.  (if yours is bugged and shows all joystick or another control scheme, then select through them till the Adjust Joystick Axes button appears.)  Now press the Adjust Joystick Axes button (button encase in red in picture.)
Axes Joystick Button.jpg

This will bring up the Axes graphs, each axis has its own graph, Roll, Pitch, Yaw, Thrust and Boost (green section), how the game reads your stick (orange section), deadzone and invert axis (red section), and what axis to set for each axis in game (blue section).
Linear Axis.jpg

Make sure that the orange section reads your joystick all centered, if this is not the case, then exit the game and re-calibrate it via Windows Game Controller screen.  (Google this if you can not find it for your Operating System.)

Now for each Axes on the left, make sure that each one has the proper axis assigned to your joystick (blue section).  Also make sure that it is not set as Axis # (Default Controller), inside the (  ) should have your Joystick Name, like it does for my Extreme 3D Pro in the yellow section of the picture.
Axis Assignment.jpg

You will also notice that there is no sensitivity slider anymore. this is done via the graph.

How to read the Graph

This is what the graph looks line in default state:
Axis Graph.jpg

The bottom of the graph (horizontal plane or the yellow line) is the representation of the physical joystick positions (or %).  Each graph line represents 5 points in a scale of 0-100 points.
The left side of the graph (vertical plane or the orange line) is the representation rate of roll, pitch, or yaw (or %).  Each graph line represents 5 points in a scale of 0-100 points.

Setting up the Curves

Each graph has 8 movable points, green section, you can add (left clicking anywhere on the graph) or remove (right clicking the point) from the graph and 2 stationary points (0 and 100 and are not displayed). Note: In default state only 1 point is displayed.

In a default state, the graphs shows a 45 degree line from 0 to 100.  This is also known as a Linear curve.  What this represents is that all points are 1:1.  For example, if my joystick is at 50% axis then the game will roll, yaw or pitch the plane 50%.

Graph Example 1.jpg
Now with the picture above you will see a non-linear curve. I have plotted 3 points, 15%, 25% and 35% of the Joystick Position, also these points are at the 5%, 20% and 35% of the Rate of Pitch, Roll, Yaw.

What does this mean? Well, what it means is that when my joystick is at 15% of the axis the game will represent the rate of pitch, roll, or yaw at 5%, at 25% joystick axis at 20% and at 35% joystick axis at 35%.  This also will lower the sensitivity of my joystick at these said points because they are not outputting the same % as what my joystick is positioned at.

Basically how you will look at the graph is anything below the 45 degree line will lower the sensitivity and anything above the 45 degree line will raise the sensitivity.

Also you will be doing a lot of tweaking of the graph at this stage till you can find a curve that will work for you.

Examples

The picture below will show how I lowered the rate by 5%, which is pretty much still a linear curve just adjusted lower.
5% lower curve.jpg

What this curve below achieves is that from 0 to 35% it reduces the sensitivity of the rate of pitch, roll, or yaw near the center of the joystick, this also will allow more precision tuning of the plane at the center of the joystick.  Then after 35% its the same linear 1:1 curve for the remainder of the joystick positions.
Graph Example 1.jpg

Now my curve that I use looks like this:
(do not look at the additional points that I have in my curve, this is advanced modding of the xml to get more then the 8 points to adjust, I am just using my curve itself as an example)
This is my old curve.
My curve.jpg
This curves overall has a slight lower sensitivity.  In the center of my joystick its lowered to where I feel I have the best fine tuning for me then it rolls back up in sensitivity around 30-50% of my joystick then it rolls down in sensitivity again after 50% to about 99% to give me even more fine tuning at this point (this would be used more in a turn fight because this is roughly where my joystick is when I am lining up a shot) then at 100% stick it gives me the full rate of pitch or roll.

My new curve as of 4/17/13, both pitch and roll are different curves now:
New Curve Pitch.jpg New Curve Roll.jpg

Well I hope this helps explains the graphs a bit.  I am not sure if I went enough in detail.  If you have any questions just leave it here or PM me.

iGoPostal #2 Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Gave this a go but still having a hard time controling the plane, i guess tanks are more suited to me than planes. :)

error_3 #3 Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostiGoPostal, on 27 March 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Gave this a go but still having a hard time controling the plane, i guess tanks are more suited to me than planes. :)
nah the controls take a while to get used to ive ben playing for a while and still have a hard time

Heya i'm Jeska and that's all :p

Zaisho #4 Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9 battles
Thx DrSinister, This really helped a lot. I was really confused at how these graphs worked because I've never used or came across anything like it before.  :eyesup:

Dunkelschatten #5 Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Good repost and great guide!

Kraff_Dinner #6 Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 107 battles
Devs can we get this pinned up?

Cheers

Tophatter #7 Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
+1 AWESOME!

I might actually try this

Cal_Dayton #8 Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 266 battles
Well done sir!  Thanks!  I was fairly happy with the default control curves, but I think this will make it even easier to fly

Windows 7 Home Premium, 3 GHz AMD Athlon II X3 440, 4 GB RAM
1024 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Commercial Single & Multiengine, Instrument, CFI; 320 hrs.
Ace: LaGG-3 Pegas (G) IL-10 (2G) IL-2 (3G)

DragonMaxx #9 Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5623 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Thank you DrSinister - can't wait to go home and try this out.

I hate that my boss won't let me play when I am at work!!!

Do Not Meddle In the Affairs of Dragons...for You are Crunchy & Good with Ketchup!!

DrSinister #10 Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4758 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Thank You all, I am glad this is helping people understand how the new joystick settings work.

wolf9622 #11 Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Nice description.  I was at a loss to what this was all for.  I'll have to give it a try to see if I can make more sense of the controls.

Badwolfsix #12 Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [K9] K9
Well this could certainly be helpful.  I too was a bit confusipated by the linear sensitivity graph.  And was wondering how some pilots seem to have absolute deadly (and I mean shot down in the first few secs of an encounter deadly) accuracy in the game.

Now I know.  And knowing is half the battle. (Go Joe!) :trollface:

BLKitt #13 Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 740 battles
Thank you for this. I think this is the first time I really feel like I've had decent control of my plane.

hathore #14 Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

Captain

• Alpha tester
  • 105 battles
I don't know how I missed this, but wow thank you!
/pinned!

Elios0 #15 Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 331 battles
user adustable expo for joysticks is great :D

Compass 6HV_______________________________25% Edge 540

rbmann #16 Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 138 battles
Will this help the delay I get when pressing the fire button?
My controls seem to be fine, Extreme 3D Pro stick!

Thx
RBmann

DrSinister #17 Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4758 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postrbmann, on 06 April 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Will this help the delay I get when pressing the fire button?
My controls seem to be fine, Extreme 3D Pro stick!

Thx
RBmann

This will not help that.  What is your Ping in game?  WoWp and even WoT is based off server side response first before the client acts upon it.  I hear there is a very noticeable delay around 150+ ms.  I have played on the EU server with 130ms ping do not notice it that much.  On the NA server here I have 30-40ms and 50-60ms when streaming, and I do not notice it at all, but there is a fraction of a second delay, just that I have been here long enough that I have gotten use to the fraction of a sec delay.

pmazurak #18 Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 208 battles
Like everyone having hasrd time controling the airceaft. and this is just biplanes wait till realfighter in WWII. anyone reccomend what to help. trying to config the joystick is very confusing.

Bogie_with_Stu #19 Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4079 battles
  • [K_O_S] K_O_S

View Postpmazurak, on 10 April 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

Like everyone having hasrd time controling the airceaft. and this is just biplanes wait till realfighter in WWII. anyone reccomend what to help. trying to config the joystick is very confusing.

If after reading this thread you are still confused as to how to configure your JS, then there is not a lot of help anyone can give you. You will just have to keep plugging away until you get better at handling the aircraft.

One thing I did which helped my game a lot was to lower my graphics from "med" to "low". I really dont notice too much loss of detail, but the plane is a whole lot smoother and more controllable (at least on my system, YMMV)
Use GENTLE and small movements with the JS. Dont get "tunnel vision" trying to shoot down that ONE aircraft that you are targeting. If you have been going in tight right-hand circle for 5 minutes and still cant line him up...youre wasting your time. Turn left. Do an Immelman, spiral or yo-yo move to break the cycle...or just find another target. Remember, doing damage is key.

DrSinister #20 Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 4758 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpmazurak, on 10 April 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

What are you having probs with controlling the plane with the joystick, over sensitivity?? Feels sluggish??  What is your FPS, your ping or are you getting any packet loss in a match (you see this info in a match in the upper left of the screen).  A lot of this can affect the feel of the joystick or any control scheme.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users